Monday, March 13, 2006

Winds of Change

Change...
Why does that word strike fear into the hearts of men and women everywhere? Why do we cling to the "old", hold to "the way we've always done it", or long for the "good old days"? Is it human nature to fear what we do not know? Is it natural to shy away from the unfamiliar rather than embracing the newness of change? Why do we struggle against loss of control? We want it, of course.... we all want control...at least some semblance of it. Perhaps that is not the God in us but it is in us nonetheless.
Our sense of control is a total myth, you know. We don't actually have any...if we belong to Christ...and perhaps even if we do not know Him (if you can reach there in your spirit). He is at the very center of the Universe, of Eternity and He is totally unpredictable to the human thought process...wildly free and changing moment by moment, yet ever the same. How can this be? We do find paradoxes so very hard to accept, don't we? How can two extemes be true? Yet they are true. And if we look deep inside ourselves, into the place where His spirit lives, we know it is so.
Truthfully, in Christ, what is there to fear in change?.....times, places, environment, situations, feelings, revelations, ...they are tools in His hands to shape us and sometimes even weapons of mass destruction against our spirits, souls and bodies. Still something deep within us remains the same....remains solidly His. He never changes, ....yet He is new every moment.
He is the author of our lives, the creator, initiator and navigator of our path.
Things will never remain the same....it is impossible in this life and perhaps even in the life to come...it is not His way....
So I choose...I choose not to fear change, I will embrace it. I choose not to struggle with lack of control, I give it up freely. I search for that solid rock inside that is Christ.... in so doing I am liberated to let the wind blow where it will.
Change equals New.... He is New every moment and He holds my future.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

So well said...sometimes it's so hard to let go of that control...even though I know better. Thanks for inspiring me!

Anonymous said...

i so agree with you. i feel the same way but i chose to let God be God in my life. it's hard but change is inevitable. everything changes except HIM.

Bek said...

i like "change = new. " good perspective.

Home Is Where The Heart Is! said...

You are Kind of His Own Kind - My True Sister!!!
Someone with Great Wisdom, once said...There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven.
A time to give birth, and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up... (You are in Great Company, My Sister):)
Happy to know you again,
Annette of Christ

Heidi Grether said...

Have you read the newest comments on my blog post "answer"? Kinda scarey. Wanted your opinion and prayer. Thanks! Love your heart for Him.

Chris said...

If there is one thing that I have experienced in my life it is change. Thank God that He's always taking us to another level. He's always leading us to meet new people, have new ideas, new dreams, etc. As usual, it will take faith live this lifestyle of following Him... which always includes change because we always yield to His direction. The questions is will be bold enough to follow even though we can only see ahead one step at a time?

Goody said...

Change is difficult if you do not wish to go in the direction that God is choosing. It is scarey when the road ahead is in the fog. So sometimes I stamp my feet and squeel and then move toward the way. Love compels me and propels me in to know my Lord. The priceless one!We are one Cheryl.

Gordon said...

Great post, JG. I think many times we are more comfortable with the idea of God changing our circumstances to accomodate our happiness, when in fact He wants to use those circumstances to conform us to the image of Christ.

It is a blessing to know that we are settled in an unchanging Savior.