Thursday, August 10, 2006

Tomorrow is Aug. 11th...does 11 have some special meaning?

I was at work at my desk on Sept. 11th when we heard the news of a small plane flying into the World Trade Center. My first thougths, "oh dear, those poor people, what a terrible thing to happen"...then shortly afterward, the report of a second plane hitting the second World Trade Center building and the the slow dawning that something here was not right...this was not concidental....then the frightening realization that it was intentional. I was one of the first people on my floor to realize that something so big was happening that work should wait....I hurried down to our conference room to the one TV I knew of, to find one other employee busy trying to get a channel on a televison usually used for Powerpoint presentaions and training videos. We found a channel as the room began to fill with shocked and disbelieving co-workers and together, we watched both towers collapse.
This morning, I did not feel that same sense of disbelief...I am now, unfortunately, a seasoned victim of terriorism...but I was once again gripped with the overwhelming realization of just how real and how close this war on terriorism is and how big this one incident could have been. Can you even begin to imagine the horror of up to 10 planes falling out of the sky while enroute to the US?!?! September 11th multiplied and spread over the world...chaos in every corner!

I have travelled in and out of Heathrow Airport many times...my husband flies internationally often and we both know how very strict they are at Heathrow and now we know how on guard the British government has been as well...Thank God!
All I can say is THANK GOD! people are continuing to fight this horrible thing called terrorism, daily following leads, never taking their charge lightly, doing their jobs. THANK GOD for conscientious citizens who notice strange things going on and report them to the authorities. THANK GOD for HIS protection thus far in this war we have been dragged into, that we have had no repeats of that dreadful September 11th day though we may never know how close we have come. We are innocent no more but when things like this happen we are again made accutely aware to stand guard, to pay attention and never to take the life we know in this country for granted, there are those who would like it to all come to an end.

8 comments:

TJ said...

it is good to know Someone is looking out for us...but then He was during the attack too I'm thinking...
:-D

Pat said...

I appreciate your post today. We must never take for granted that we are 'safe'. As 9/11 so horribly showed the only strong tower is the name of the Lord.

dille2@cableone.net said...

All I can say is great minds think alike - coincidence, I think not. He is good, very good...zalaine

Anonymous said...

The husband of a close friend of mine works in Homeland Security and when she complains that he is never home I try and encourage her and I tell her thank you...for making the sacrifices that are keeping our country safe.

Scott said...

I am thankful that we are doing something about terrorism, for better or worse. At least we are being proactive. Good post.

Anonymous said...

Very good post. I drove home today listening to talk radio and all the discussions about the latest terrorist attempts. Who would have guessed when we were growing up that our children and grandchildren would have to live in a world that felt so unsafe and scary. We need to teach our kids when they are young exactly what you said in this post - God is watching over us and we need not live in fear.

Tammy said...

Today's verse on Biblegateway.com was this...

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. ”- Psalm 46:1

Ironic, huh...thanks for reminding me not to take what we have for granted.

Kim said...

Yes!! Thank you Lord! Very good post!