Monday, October 01, 2012

Cathedrals of the heart


I enjoyed a busy weekend with several hours spent digging and planting flowers in the rain.  It was just right rain...the kind that is gentle and warm with no storms or breezes to chill me.   The ground was so dry that even after a while of raining it was still crusty underneath the first few inches.  As I stayed and stayed, getting my pots re-potted and my summer flowers pulled up or cut back I got more and more soaked...reveling in the quiet stillness and in getting muddy.   There was nothing to hear and no one moving about only the rain and an occasional squirrel until at last I retired to the house, exhausted and soaked to the skin, for a nice hot shower and some dinner.
There is nothing like being in God's creation, so refreshing with gentle nature sounds allowing my spirit to relax and rest even though my body was working hard.  There is something healing about being alone with God in His creation... I can see why so many feel as if they have fellow-shipped with Him just by being out in nature...and maybe they have. There is a unique link between God and the beauty of this world He has made.   Even in small places where the man made intrudes it can be a moment out side of time...like a great cathedral filled with the hushed silence of centuries of worshipers....the breeze, rain or waves fading the world away so that you can hear His creation praising Him in its own way....the way He has told it to worship.
 The only other place I can think that God has made on this earth besides the great outdoors is the fellowship of His saints....in the best scenarios saints gather to give Him glory, uplifting one another in the process.  Our spirits were designed to function, perhaps best, in the places that God has made....we appreciate so little of that in our modern day....time is so hurried and rushed... and sometimes we really need to just be....and to be on His terms so as to nourish our spirits and souls......in nature or with His people.... in cathedrals of the heart both seen and unseen....places not made by human hands...

4 comments:

Home Is Where The Heart Is! said...

Amen! Thank you again.

Diane said...

I love this post! Cathedrals of the heart....you say it so eloquently! Thank you!

Mrs.N said...

WOW! What a beautiful post! I felt myself resonate with every word. I'm also a lover of the Lord's creation and I think lately I've not been out there enough.

Mrs. Mac said...

Cconcrete jungles and science based society .. both push out our spiritual beings .. nothing better than to be out in HIS creation to restore the body, mind & soul.